As I have said before, one of my passions in cooking is Redeeming Comfort Food. Finding ways to enjoy those foods that are total guilty pleasures and making them GUILT FREE is super fun and completely supportive of a “homestead state of mind.” Cooking from scratch and reclaiming your health with super nutritious foods is incredibly rewarding
So what is one of the biggest guilty pleasure foods of all time? Processed Cheese. We can all pretend to be above such highly processed, preservative ridden junk food but lets be honest here, it’s ooey-gooey, creamy and melty in a way that in many recipes, you just can’t get with good ole’ fashioned cheese.
Or can you?
With 3 simple ingredients, this recipe uses real food to produce the same cheesy product with no chemicals, no preservatives, no additives, no artificial ANYTHING.
In fact, the addition of a good quality gelatin actually boosts the nutritional value.
So here’s how it’s done:
Healthy, Homemade Velveeta Style Cheese
- 16 oz grated cheese
- 1 heaping, half tablespoon gelatin
- 1 cup milk
- Grate cheese of your choice. (I used a mixture of Cheddar and Colby Jack cheese this time, whatever you have on hand will do.)
- “Bloom” gelatin by sprinkling it over 1 tablespoon of water in a separate bowl.
- Bring milk to a boil on the stove.
- Add grated cheese to your food processor or blender.
- When milk is boiling, (be careful not to scorch it) remove from heat and stir in gelatin mixture.
- Start blender/food processor and slowly add milk mixture until will blended.
- Immediately scrape out your cheese mixture into a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hrs or overnight.
The possibilities are now endless for you. The world is your bowl of Queso, or Broccoli Cheese Soup… or Green Chili Chicken Soup…
You get the idea.
Any recipe that uses processed cheese is now free game! Go crazy!