Have you ever had that dream where there is something really important that you need to do or to focus on but you just can’t quite see well enough or move fast enough? Everything is shadowed in darkness, your body is unable to move, there is a force closing in around you, the darkness is swallowing you whole and encasing you in wet, heavy cement that, bit by bit, is beginning to harden… There is no other fatigue like Thyroid Fatigue.
Never fear though, THERE IS HOPE!! One of the most important keys to a Homestead State of Mind is reclaiming your health from Big Pharma and Modern medicine.
I was diagnosed in 2010, with hypothyroidism and was put onto the typical thyroid medication. It was during my first pregnancy and my thyroid just tanked; it was no surprise really, both of my parents had also been diagnosed with thyroid dysfunction. I had no idea at the time just how vital and how all-encompassing thyroid function really is. All I knew was that I was tired all the time and struggling with my weight. In reality, thyroid dysfunction affects EVERYTHING, absolutely everything.
But after 8 years on thyroid medication I found that my levels were only getting worse, and my dosage increasing over time rather than improving. Let me tell you folks, there IS a better way. I wish I had known earlier how much we are able to support our own endocrine system with diet, supplementation and for me, the most important component, essential oils.
Here are 4 keys to support your own endocrine system and thyroid function:
- Diet – By this, I do not mean “dieting” like, “lose 20 lbs in the next 30 days” fad diet nonsense. What we’re talking about here is good nutrition and avoiding or moderating a few particular culprits that are fighting against you. Two of the main Bad Guys that are going to sabotage your thyroid are caffeine and quick sugars (anything that will spike your blood sugar.) This is all a balancing act folks, a tired thyroid cannot defend itself against a dose of adrenaline and both caffeine and quick spikes to your blood sugar do exactly that.
- Caffeine. This is one of the hardest things for me to do because I LOVE coffee. But deep down, I know that it does not love me back. If you are a coffee addict like me, and some days herbal tea (which I also love) just isn’t going to cut it, chicory root is a great substitution and comes with a whole host of its own nutrition benefits. There are many brand choices out there, I use Dandy Blend, which you can find it on Amazon. It combines Chicory root and Dandelion root for a super beneficial nutrition boost to your day. Another herbal option with a pick me up is Yerba Mate, which has its own (more gentle) non-caffeinated energy boost but this option will be more like an herbal tea rather than the darker “coffee fix” of chicory root.
- Quick sugars. Many others I have spoken to will say that avoiding gluten all together is the key, and that’s always a safe way to go; but for me, I’ve found that I can tolerate some gluten in moderation. The key is fermentation. I can enjoy sour dough bread in moderation without all the negative side effects because the fermentation process eats up the sugars in the wheat. But we’re not just talking bread here folks. Sugars, highly processed grains and fruit should also be avoided or moderated. Along with sourdough bread, I have found that I can occasionally enjoy some fruit (berries are lowest on the glycemic index and your best choice) and whole grains like brown rice, whole oats etc. but not on a daily basis. Overall, a lower carb style of eating is a good rule of thumb. Weight loss is also something that will help to improve your thyroid function but since weight gain is a symptom and byproduct of a slow thyroid, it can become a vicious cycle. Lowering your consumption of quick sugar foods can help both with your weight and with your thyroid at the same time.
- Supplementation – This one for me is very simple. Vitamin D, Iodine (with Kelp) Magnesium and a good probiotic. (Rather than purchasing a probiotic, I use a variety of fermented foods to support my digestive health, but Young Living also carries pro and prebiotic products that are fantastic. Plexus also provides a fantastic line of supplements, but for me, Young Living has been life changing. Young Living also has a Thyroid Suppliment called Thyromin which is a special blend or extracts herbs, amino acids, minerals and essential oils that maximize nutritional support for healthy thyroid function.
- Sleep – Once again, we are working to support your thyroid and an overly taxed adrenal system will stop you in your tracks. Getting regular sleep is vitally important. If you are having trouble sleeping Cedar wood and Lavender essential oils are my favorite combo to support a healthy sleep cycle and as an added bonus, Cedar wood oil is one of the beneficial supports for a healthy thyroid.
- Endocrine disrupters – This is one aspect that I didn’t take seriously enough for quite some time. Chemicals like artificial fragrance are known endocrine disrupters meaning they seriously affect and hinder your endocrine (or any hormone) system. I slowly began to weed out as many of these chemicals over time and hadn’t realized the real difference that it had made until after our move to Alaska last year. During the moving process I found my old favorite perfumes and candles and I started using some perfume here, burning a candle there… and then I started cleaning cabins for some side work. The combination of fragrance and chemical cleaners sent me spiraling! Headaches, inflammation, fatigue, brain fog and mood swings were OUT OF CONTROL. Thankfully I realized what might be happening. As soon as I stopped using the scented perfumes, lotions and candles and started bringing my own Thieves Cleaner (from Young Living) to work, I was good as new again! The difference was unmistakable, I am so grateful to have beautiful smelling oils for perfume and diffusing, and an exceptional, plant based, household cleaner at hand at all times.
- Essential Oils – This one is no joke people, I don’t know that I would be successfully off of thyroid medication without it. Endoflex – This is my main go-to here, a powerful combination of oils that support healthy thyroid function. I find that I get the best results when I take the Endoflex, Clove and Copaiba internally and thanks to Young Living’s line of vitality oils, you know that they are safe. I DO NOT suggest ingesting any essential oil other than Young Living. To my knowledge Young Living’s line of Vitality oils is the only line of essential oils to be granted a GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) by the FDA for ingestion. Some other oils that will help support your thyroid are:
- Cedar wood
- Lemon Grass and so many more…
- Ningxia Red (superfood, antioxident drink)
“…This sweet and tangy drink’s formula includes wolfberry, which is touted for its health benefits. Also featuring plum, aronia, cherry, blueberry, and pomegranate juices and extracts, Young Living’s NingXia Red is packed with superfoods to support overall wellness.
In addition to these antioxidant ingredients, NingXia Red’s formula includes pure vanilla extract and Lemon, Orange, Yuzu, and Tangerine essential oils for a great-tasting, healthy treat.
Young Living NingXia Red benefits include support for energy levels, normal cellular function, and whole-body and normal eye health. A daily shot of 2–4 ounces helps support overall wellness with powerful antioxidants.”
*I also use Young Living’s Progesence Plus Serum and Lady Sclareol or Sclaressence to finish rounding out the support for my female hormones. Something important to remember is that when one part of the Endocrine System is out of whack, it’s a spiraling cycle of dysfunction. Working to balance all hormone related systems will improve all systems.
All in all I am posting this in hopes that someone else who is struggling with their Thyroid health will find some improvement in their own quality of life like I have. If you are interested in finding out more about the essential oils that I have mentioned here or how you can buy the highest quality oils available at wholesale prices, follow my link here. https://homesteadstateofmind.com/2018/02/01/discovering-essential-oils/
Happy Thyroid Awareness Month folks, it is a happy one for me and I hope that soon, you will be able to say the same.
*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nurse, or any other form of medical professional. The content of this blog is simply my own experiences and opinions and have not been evaluated by any government agency. This information is not intended to “diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.” Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.